Monday, December 19, 2011

Corn and Black Bean Stoup

 Stoup is one of my favorite dinner dishes. You can have so many delicious things going on at once!           In this particular stoup you have - corn, sweet potato, black beans, chicken, green, yellow, and orange peppers, green chillies, and tomatoes. It's a burst of savory goodness.

By way of clarification. . . stoup is a cross between stew and soup. It's the best!

The recipe is pretty simple, especially since I took a short cut.
I used a pre cooked hen from the deli at my grocery store. It was Mojo flavor. So Good. It paired really well with the other flavors in the stoup.

To start -
Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil and in a large pot. Add paprika and cumin to the oil to infuse the flavor. You can also add some chili powder. I don't measure out the spices. Remember, I'm "a dash of this and a dash of that" kind if girl. I eyeball it.

Next, add your corn, sweet potato, peppers, and green chillies. I did not use three whole peppers. I used about a third of each pepper. Add in your black beans and chicken pieces. Ideally I would use all fresh ingredients. This time around I used canned corn and black beans. Now, add chicken stock. I used about 3/4 of a quart.

 Season away! I put a ton of "dashes" of chili powder, paprika, and cumin. As well as black pepper, and a little salt. If it starts to get too spicy ( I taste along the way) add a little agave nectar. Now add a splash of milk and around a teaspoon of guar gum and you're set!

The only thing left to do is let it simmer and simmer and simmer some more. The longer it simmers the better it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment